Wednesday, September 22, 2010

R.I.P. Old Pinky

My bf left my water bottle at the hospital (boo!) but it was a good excuse to go out and buy a new one. Old Pinky had a lot of miles on her so I looked on the bright side and saw it as an opportunity to purchase something shiny and new. I had originally hoped to get the same bottle only in purple, but I was only able to find it in a yellow green color and that will never do!

I ended up getting a smaller bottle, Old Pinky was a 1L (32 oz) bottle which has its pros and cons, but most notably in the cons column was that I couldn't fit it in my bike's water bottle holder. My new bottle is a nice teal green and holds just over a half liter (18oz) and has a nice contoured shape. Also a smaller bottle = more walking!

There were some interesting facts on the tag that I thought I would share.
  • The energy required to manufacture, fill, and transport a chilled disposable bottle of water is equivalent to filling each bottle 1/4 full of oil.
  • Bottled water is designed to be consumed and discarded. It takes about 1000 years for plastic disposable bottles to biodegrade.
  • In North America, an estimated 70 million disposable water bottles are dumped in landfills each year.
  • Buying a bottle of water is 3000 more expensive than tap water.
The bottle I bought was BIOS H20, it cost me $11.15 CDN including tax. There was also a very cool bottle there for about the same price that came with a built in filter, I was going to go for that one, but most of the water I drink is from the cooler at work which has a filter built into it. It is also BPA free. I used to reuse the disposable plastic bottles but I have since been informed that this is a big no no so that is why I initially purchased Old Pinky. I also find that it is more "fun" to drink out of a cute bottle, but that might just be me.

Let's hope that Old Pinky found a new home. Maybe one of the nurses put it in the dishwasher and is enjoying it as we speak. Now I just have to think of a cute name for my new bottle. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment