Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Love Letter to Edamame

Sometimes we just find a food that we love so much that we need to shout it from the rooftops. For me that used to be candy, or maybe chocolate, but one of my new favorite foods is Edamame.


I tried it about a year ago with a friend at a Japanese restaurant and was a fan right away. When you order it in a restaurant though, they typically sprinkle it with salt and serve it still in the pod. Well last week when I was at the grocery store I thought to myself, "I wonder if they have frozen edamame?" and they do!

A lot of people are not huge fans, but for me I have been enjoying the edamame every morning for a snack. I am eating a predominantly vegetarian or pescetarian diet so I am always looking for more protein. 3.5 oz has 12 g of protein! Check out the stats:

Edamame Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)


Energy 107 kcal

Carbohydrates 12 g

Sugars 3 g

Dietary fiber 6 g

Fat 6 g

Protein 12 g

Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.2 mg (15%)

Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.3 mg (20%)

Niacin (Vit. B3) 1.1 mg (7%)

Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.6 mg (12%)

Vitamin B6 0.2 mg (15%)

Folate (Vit. B9) 358 μg (90%)

Vitamin C 11.4 mg (19%)

Vitamin K 37 μg (35%)

Calcium 71 mg (7%)

Iron 2.5 mg (20%)

Magnesium 72 mg (19%)

Manganese 1.2 mg (60%)

Phosphorus 190 mg (27%)

Potassium 569 mg (12%)

Zinc 1.6 mg (16%)

Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults.

Source: USDA Nutrient database

So if you are looking for something to try that is healthy and (I think) pretty tasty, give Edamame a go!

I bought Green Organic brand shelled Edamame from IGA for less than $5

No comments:

Post a Comment